Venice | CODE RED | Italian Government issues Code Red protocol in Venice

il codice rosso venezia - al sahawat times - code red protocol venice - venice flooding 2018Man swimming in Venice floods October 2018


EMERGENCY BROADCAST | Italy issues CODE RED protocol in Venice


Advertisement – Advertise here from OMR 100 / $275 USD


Al-Sahawat Times | Ethical Global News from Oman and UAE | Donate HERE 


Advertisement – Advertise here from OMR 100 / $275 USD


The Italian government has issued a CODE RED PROTOCOL in Venice for the first time since 2012.

Venice was almost completely flooded today (Monday 29 October 2018), with rain-soaked tourists evacuated from St Mark’s Square under “CODE RED PROTOCOL” as fierce storms lashed Italy.

Water transport services were halted across Venice as 75 per cent of the city centre flooded to a minimum depth of 156cm (5ft 2.5 inches) by early afternoon, the highest level since the devastating floods of 2012.

Residents and visitors were wading through waist-high water in St Mark’s Square before the mayor gave the emergency CODE RED PROTOCOL orders to evacuate the area. Shortly after the evacuation the waters rose to levels higher than some residents’ heights.

Police wearing hip waders carried a number of children to safety as stranded tourists waited to be ferried to higher ground as waters continued to rise above the first story of some buildings.

“All of Veneto is in code red alarm for this wave of bad weather,” said Luca Zaia, the regional president, warning that conditions could match historic flood levels of 1966.

Venice is accustomed to “acqua alta” (high water) and has a complex monitoring system in place for measuring the ebb and flow of water in the city. In 2003, Italy began construction on a massive system of surge protection gates around Venice, but fifteen years and €5.5 billion euros later the project still remains unfinished.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte mobilised civil protection authorities to aid local Venetian officials with rescue response, while Matteo Salvini, the interior minister, said authorities had 24-hour monitoring in place for all the high-risk areas from northern Liguria to southern Calabria.

Streets, schools and public transit systems were closed across the country, with a number of coastal cities and mountain regions on high alert for flooding and landslides due to high winds and heavy rains that authorities said were responsible for at least three deaths and more than a dozen injured.

In Sardinia and Elba, winds reached 160km/h, causing authorities to halt ferry service to the islands.

Civil authorities reported weather-related transportation and infrastructure disruptions from the northern province of Bergamo in Lombardy to the wind-whipped strait of Messina, in Sicily.

Rome residents were urged to stay inside and avoid travel as authorities in the capital reported at least 15 people had been injured. Near Naples, authorities closed the popular Pompeii archeological ruins and evacuated visiting tourists.

Sticking out into the Mediterranean bridging Europe and Africa, Italy is in the direct firing line of many high force storms and is no stranger to massive high waters, volcanos and earthquakes, yet Venice with its sinking grounds and rising waters is in a more precarious situation than others.

Any one worried about missing loved ones or trapped and unable to find dry ground is urged to call the Italian emergency services as soon as possible.

Those in flood areas are advised to move to higher grounds and stay indoors.

Since you’re here …

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading Al-Sahawat Times than ever but advertising revenues across the global media industry are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a total paywall. We want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Al-Sahawat Times’ independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe truly ethical media and an unbias perspective really matters.

“I appreciate there not being a paywall: it is more democratic for the media to be available for all and not a commodity to be purchased by a few. I’m happy to make a contribution so others with less means still have access to information.”

If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps fund it, the future of ethical media and the futures of our staff and their families would be much more secure. For as little as £1, you can support Al-Sahawat Times and it only takes a minute. Thank you. 




Donate


This story is available on:

APPLE NEWS | GOOGLE NEWS | FLIPBOARD | AL-SAHAWAT TIMES


Talk to a journalist

Email: NewsDesk@alsahawat.com

Web: alsahawat.com

Follow Al-Sahawat Times

Visit Us On InstagramVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On TwitterVisit Us On LinkedinVisit Us On Youtube
Read it on Apple News

🗞Read it on FLIPBOARD


N.alShahid@alsahawat.com | Journalist

About the Author

Nur al-Shahid
• Celebrity Biographer • Author • Journalist • Travel Photographer

Leave a Reply

avatar
1500
  Subscribe  
Notify of