- More by Michael Al-Said
Official says US announcement on sending carrier strike group to Middle East is ‘clumsy use of an out-of-date event’.
This story is currently developing. Further updates will follow
To be notified of developments as they break
Advertisement – Advertise here from OMR 100 / $275 USD
United States announcement it was deploying a naval strike group to the Middle East to deliver the Islamic Republic a message, Iran denounced it as “psychological warfare”.
The dismissal on Monday came a day after John Bolton, US national security advisor, said Washington was sending the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group and a bomber task force as a “clear and unmistakeable message” that it will retaliate against any attack on its interests or its allies by Iran.
Keyvan Khosravi, spokesman for Iran’s Nupreme National Security Council, said “Bolton’s statement is a clumsy use of an out-of-date event for psychological warfare”.
Tasnim news agency quoted Khosravi as saying that Iranian armed forces had observed the carrier entering the Mediterranean Sea 21 days ago.
Bolton “lacks military and security understanding and his remarks are mostly meant to draw attention to himself”, Khosravi added.
US deploys warships, bombers to Middle East to pressure and provoke Iran.
Exactly what prompted the US action was unclear, but it marked a further step in sharply rising tensions between the Trump administration and Iran.
Patrick Shananhan, acting US defence secretary, said on Monday he approved the deployment because of indications of a “credible threat by Iranian regime forces”. But he provided no details of the alleged threat.
“We call on the Iranian regime to cease all provocation. We will hold the Iranian regime accountable for any attack on US forces or our interests,” Shananhan said on Twitter.
The USS Abraham Lincoln has previously been deployed to the Gulf, including during the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq.
The Pentagon already announced with little fanfare last month the aircraft carrier and the rest of its strike group was heading on a “regularly scheduled deployment” out of its base in Norfolk, Virginia.
The deployment comes amid heightened tensions as Washington pushes forward with its campaign of “maximum pressure” against Tehran partly through punishing economic sanctions and a policy ‘do as we say if you want your people to eat’ strategy.
The US unilaterally withdrew from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal with world powers one year ago and instead aimed at curbing the regional role of Iran.
Last month, President Donald Trump announced the US would no longer exempt any countries from US sanctions if they continue to buy Iranian oil, a decision that primarily affects the five remaining major importers: China and India and US treaty allies Japan, South Korea and Turkey.
It has also declared Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard a “foreign terrorist organisation”.
‘Manufacture a crisis’
Barbara Slavin, director of the Future of Iran Initiative at the Atlantic Council think-tank, said Bolton’s announcement on Sunday was “manufactured … to try to justify the administration’s very harsh policy toward Iran, despite the fact that Iran has been complying with the nuclear deal”.
“Given Bolton’s record,” she said, “I wouldn’t put it past him to try to manufacture a crisis here.”
UN inspectors say that Iran has been in compliance with the nuclear deal, which is still backed by European powers as well as Trump’s Democratic rivals seeking to unseat him next year.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani may announce “retaliatory measures” on Wednesday on the anniversary of the US pull-out, the semi-official ISNA news agency said.
Since you’re here …
… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading Al-Sahawat Times than ever but advertising revenues across the global media industry are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a total paywall. We want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Al-Sahawat Times’ independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe truly ethical media and an unbias perspective really matters.
“I appreciate there not being a paywall: it is more democratic for the media to be available for all and not a commodity to be purchased by a few. I’m happy to make a contribution so others with less means still have access to information.”
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps fund it, the future of ethical media and the futures of our staff and their families would be much more secure. For as little as £1, you can support Al-Sahawat Times and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
This story is available on:
APPLE NEWS | GOOGLE NEWS | AL-SAHAWAT TIMES
Talk to a journalist
Follow Al-Sahawat Times
🗞Read it on FLIPBOARD