- More by Ben Keighley
Top 10 tips for businesses when it comes to their use of social media
Social Media expert Ben is the founder and Managing Director of Routes 4 Media, a leading London based social media management and strategy agency, as well as a Founding Director of recruitment tech company Socially Recruited.
What are your top 10 tips for businesses when it comes to their use of social media?
1. Set SMART goals early on and constantly review them. These goals need to be specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time bound. Examples below…
Specific: “We’ve specifically identified the social channel (Instagram) and a metric (click throughrate).”
Measurable: “The click through rate can be measured through Instagram analytics.”
Achievable: “Increase the click through rate by 10% over the next 6 months, not by 1000% in 6 days!”
Relevant: “Our goal will have an impact on our sales, making it very relevant.”
Time-bound: “The goal has to be met by June”
2. Create a content calendar and consider using a cloud-based provider, so that the calendar can be updated and seen by anyone in the team, regardless of where they are.
3. Don’t focus on ‘selling’. Make sure you share varied, engaging content and that the balance of content is not leaning towards promotional posts.
4. Identify your target audiences. Research where your potential customers or followers hang out online e.g. which platforms and then you can figure out how best to reach them.
5. Use paid social advertising. Gone are the days of huge organic social media reach and engagement, now you will have to invest if advertising to get the reach and results that you desire.
6. Try micro-influencer marketing. Regardless of what type of business you are, there is likely to be influencers of whom may be able to benefit your business.
7. Stay active and consistent. A basic point, but a crucial one. All of the world’s top brands are very active and consistent on social media.
8. Get visual! Video and image content is king right now, so make sure you fully utilise them on your channels.
9. Social media links on your website. Be sure to link to all your active social media channels from your website, so that people can easily navigate between them and it also helps with your search engine rankings.
10. Add value through content. Always seek to add value to your followers and not just to gain followers, because when you add value, the followers will naturally increase.
⬆️Follow on Al-Sahawat Times
⬆️Follow on LinkedIn
⬆️Follow on Instagram
⬆️Follow on Twitter
⬆️Follow on FaceBook
⬆️Follow on Routes4Media
Since you’re here …
… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading Al-Sahawat Times than ever but advertising revenues across the global media industry are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a total paywall. We want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Al-Sahawat Times’ independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe truly ethical media and an unbias perspective really matters.
“I appreciate there not being a paywall: it is more democratic for the media to be available for all and not a commodity to be purchased by a few. I’m happy to make a contribution so others with less means still have access to information.”
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps fund it, the future of ethical media and the futures of our staff and their families would be much more secure. For as little as £1, you can support Al-Sahawat Times and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
This story is available on:
Talk to a journalist
Follow Al-Sahawat Times
⬆️ Follow on Instagram
⬆️ Follow on Twitter
⬆️ Follow on LinkedIn
⬆️ Follow on Facebook
⬆️ Follow on YouTube
Read it on FLIPBOARD